BCO specification guide updated.
A demand for flexible, green, healthier offices.
We have co-authored the British Council for Office’s updated design guidance which provides expert advice on how designers can create healthier offices that support changing working patterns while reducing carbon emissions.
Our Head of Workplace, Saul Tyler, was one of the report’s four authors; he also sits on the BCO technical committee, helping to update and curate key BCO documents such as this latest guidance.
Included in the guide
- Adoption of 10m2 space-per-person
- Minimum sustainability target of BREEAM ‘Excellent’ and 5 Star NABERS UK target for new buildings
- Aspirational targets for operational and embodied carbon use to meet NZC (Net Zero Carbon) goals
- Increased levels of outdoor air supply
- More efficient lighting installations
- Reduced power and cooling loads
- Higher performance facades
- More flexibility in the range of structural spans for office space
The BCO Guide to Specification often described as the ‘design bible’ for the office sector is an essential resource for the decision makers who invest in, develop or design millions of square feet of office space every year. The 2023 Update will drive the decarbonisation of the office sector, enacting change to help the industry deliver on the UK’s net zero by 2050 target.
Richard Kauntze, Chief Executive of the BCO